Great leaders are always looking for ways to grow and improve in the area of communications.
Effective leaders know that you first have to touch people’s hearts before you ask them for a hand. All great communicators recognize this truth and act on it almost instinctively. You can’t move people to action unless you first move them with emotion. The heart comes before the head.
The stronger the relationship, the more effectively the leader can persuade people to help. Connect with people at an individual level.
You can’t move people to action unless you first move them with emotion.
Use the following tips to improve your ability to connect with people:
- Connect with yourself – Understand yourself and develop confidence in your skills, knowledge, and ability to share those with other people.
- Communicate openly and sincerely – People sense quickly the level of your sincerity. Good leaders connect with others through openness, honesty, and sincerity.
- Know your audience – You connect with people when you know their names, history, dreams, goals, want, needs, and desires. As a leader, you need to balance your needs with the needs of others.
- Live your message – You build credibility when your actions match your words.
- Remove communication barriers – Adapt to others, do not expect them to adapt to you.
- Focus on your audience not on yourself – One of my managers summarized this tip simply, “It’s not about you, it’s about your people.”
- Believe in your audience – Communicate with the understanding that your audience is valuable not with the motive that what you say is valuable.
- Offer your audience direction and hope – People expect leaders to provide the guidance necessary to reach objectives.
When a leader has done the work to connect with his people, you can see it in the way the organization functions.
It’s the leader’s job to initiate connection with people. Never underestimate the power of building relationships with people before asking them to follow you. People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.
Benefit By Partnering with The Sage4 Group LLC!
Contact Me for a FREE Business Assessment!
Stephen W Murphy: firstname.lastname@example.org